Eating healthy may seem complicated, but it doesn’t have to be. Making more conscious choices regarding the food we consume is one of the best ways to take care of our health and ensure a better quality of life.
An easy way to start is by replacing less healthy ingredients with more nutritious options. In this text, we will share some simple substitution ideas that can help you have a healthier and more balanced diet.
Why make healthy choices?
The diet we adopt is one of the most relevant environmental factors that impact our long-term health. Through it, we can increase or reduce the risk of various chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases, metabolic syndrome and cancer.
Furthermore, our diet is one of the most significant environmental factors that affect and shape our microbial population in the gastrointestinal tract, being modified daily. These bacteria present in our intestines can do many good things for our health, such as helping to strengthen our immune system, produce vitamins and protect our body from damage.
On the other hand, when we eat inappropriate foods, this diet also affects the composition and functioning of the intestinal micro biota, which can be associated with various diseases, such as gastrointestinal diseases, obesity, rheumatoid arthritis and neurological disorders. Therefore, it is important to adopt healthy eating habits to maintain a balanced micro biota and prevent diseases.
What should a healthy diet be like?
Eating healthy food means giving our body everything it needs, no more and no less. But that’s not all, eating is a complete experience that involves everything, from the value that food has for our culture and society to the pleasure we feel when we eat something delicious.
After all, it’s not just to satisfy our hunger that we eat. We eat because we want to smell, color, texture and taste of the food. So, it is important to remember that food can also be a source of joy and cultural and family identity, in addition to being good for your health. Therefore, an adequate and healthy diet should be:
- Varied: it is essential to eat different types of food, such as rice, fruits, vegetables, meat, milk and beans. This way, our body receives several nutrients that help us stay healthy and strong!
- Balanced: eating a little bit of everything is nice, but each food has an important function in our body. So, it’s important to know the right amount of each thing we should eat to keep our body happy and healthy. For example, it is better to eat more fruits than fats, do you agree?
- Enough: the idea is to eat enough, without overdoing it or getting hungry. Each person is unique and has their own dietary needs, so it’s important to pay attention to how our body reacts and eat according to our own needs.
- Accessible: a healthy diet is made with foods that we find in nature, such as fruits, vegetables and fresh meats. One tip is to choose foods that are produced close to where you live, because they are cheaper and fresher.
- Colorful: each color brings different vitamins and nutrients that our body needs. So, the dish needs to have lots of colors! Fruits, vegetables and greens are great for this. It’s also good to eat grains and tubers, such as potatoes and cassava.
- Safe: it is important to pay attention to the quality of the food we eat. This means choosing clean foods, without substances that can harm us. To ensure that we are eating safe food, we must respect hygiene rules.
What can I change in my diet to make it healthier?
In the rush of everyday life, we eat things that are not always bad for our health, but that could be replaced with other, even better options for our body to function well. Let’s give some examples:
1 – Carbohydrates: opt for roots and tubers
If you cut carbohydrates from your diet without proper guidance, you could feel sick and even faint. The Ministry of Health suggests making smart changes, as not all carbohydrates are villains! It is possible to include roots and tubers such as cassava, sweet potato, cassava, yam and yam. It is also important to be careful when using oils, fats, salt and sugar.
2 – Light or diet foods for traditional foods
It turns out that foods labeled as light or diet undergo modifications and can be classified as ultra-processed. And what few people know is that these foods can have more calories than they seem!
Those who do not have health conditions that require more careful eating can even keep those sweets in their diet. With the help of a nutritionist, you can balance the quantities and still eat what you like.
3 – Refined by whole grains
Refined carbohydrates are those that contain a lot of white flour and sugar, raising blood sugar and potentially causing diseases such as diabetes and obesity.
Whole grains are those that contain more fiber, which helps control blood sugar, increase the feeling of satiety and maintain a healthy weight. And best of all, they have a lot more vitamins and minerals!
4 – Ready-made seasonings using homemade seasonings and natural herbs
Using too much salt and artificial seasonings can cause health problems such as high blood pressure, fluid retention, and kidney and heart problems. But luckily, there are healthier and tastier options! Natural herbs and spices are excellent options for seasoning dishes, as well as being full of benefits for the body.
5 – Industrialized products for real food
Eating too many processed foods can cause problems. These products contain sugar, bad fats, preservatives and dyes. The solution is to choose, whenever possible, fresh and minimally processed foods.
This means eating more fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains, which are full of good things for our bodies, like vitamins and fiber.
By adopting these five dietary replacements, you will be taking a big step towards a healthier and more balanced diet. Always remember that good nutrition does not mean giving up flavors and pleasures, so make conscious and balanced choices for your well-being and the proper functioning of your body.
If you liked this publication, share this content with your friends and family so that more people can have access to this valuable information. Also, stay tuned to our blog! Here you will find many other tips and guidance to help you maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle.